A Musical by Stephen Schwartz (book by John-Michael Tebelak)
was presented at the First Church of Christ in Longmeadow, UCC
March 27-29, 2015
Godspell is one of the most popular rock musicals of all time. Messages of love, generosity, joy, and faith are presented in song, dance, and all forms of theatrical play in this exuberant, rocking, rolling, and riveting production.
Godspell opened off Broadway on May 17, 1971, and has played in various touring companies and revivals many times since. Several cast albums have been released over the years and one of its songs, “Day by Day” from the original cast album, reached #13 on the Billboard pop singles chart.
Based on the Gospel According to St. Matthew, a small group of people help Jesus Christ tell different parables by using a wide variety of games, storytelling techniques, and a hefty dose of comic timing. An eclectic blend of songs ranging in style from pop to vaudeville are employed as the story of Jesus’s life dances across the stage. Dissolving hauntingly into the Last Supper and the Crucifixion, Jesus’s messages of kindness, tolerance, and love come vibrantly to life.
Proceeds from our production will benefit the youth mission service trip to Haiti in April.
- Director: Tim Plankey: 567-7897 or email@example.com
- Publicity/Playbill: Deb Garrity and Carole Mazzarino
- Music Directors: Mark Todd and John Gerry-Karajanes
- March 27 & 28: 7pm
- March 28 & 29: 2pm
- Jesus: Matt Garrity (“God Save the People,” “Beautiful City”)
- John the Baptist / Judas: Dr. Jay Terbush (“Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord”)
- Jeffrey: Connor Plankey (“We Beseech Thee”)
- Lamar: Benjamin Buck (“All Good Gifts”)
- Herb: Ryan Peluso (“Light of the World”)
- Robin: Shelby Carman (“Day by Day”)
- Joanne: Shannon Plankey (“Oh Bless the Lord My Soul”)
- Peggy: Jessica Terbush (“By My Side”)
- Gilmer: Liz Woolsey (“Learn Your Lessons Well”)
- Sonia: Tassie Plankey (“Turn Back Oh Man”)
- Noelle: Noelle Peluso (“Light of the World”)
* Godspell conceived and originally directed by John-Michael Tebelak *
* Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz *
Originally produced on the New York Stage by Edgar Lansbury/Stuart Duncan/Joseph Beruh.
Godspell is presented through special arrangement with Music Theater International (MTI).
All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. 421 West 54th St, New York, NY 10019